Ask your doctor
The following questions can help you talk to your doctor about a genetic test. Consider printing or writing down these questions and taking them to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your doctor’s response when you get home.
- What will a genetic test tell us about congenital heart disease (CHD), drug metabolism, or other conditions?
- How accurate is the test?
- Are there any ethical considerations related to the test?
- Can you refer me to a genetic counselor?
- Does insurance cover the test?
- Should my other family members be tested as well?