Ask your doctor
The following questions can help you talk to your doctor about echocardiograms and transesophageal echocardiograms (TEEs). Consider printing or writing down these questions and taking them to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your doctor’s response when you get home.
- What can an echocardiogram tell us about my heart?
- What happens next if the echocardiogram reveals a potential problem?
Transesophageal echocardiogram (TEE)
- What can a TEE tell us about my heart?
- What are the possible benefits for me of TEE?
- Compared to a standard transthoracic echocardiogram, what additional information can a TEE provide?
- Do I need to have an empty stomach before the procedure? Should I withhold any of my medications? Are there any medications that I will need to take?
- What happens next if TEE reveals a potential problem?
- What are the risks associated with having a TEE test?